Ordination to the order of Bishop
We are part
of the larger contexts of the body of Christ!
I looked
forward to this day.
July 7th, 2026 was the day two Bishops of Washington, D.C. were ordained.
I walked up
the marble steps leading into the oak doors leading into the ornate Basilica of the
National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception Washington, District of Columbia
and walked all the way to the left side chamber.
I was able to see what was going on the raised
sanctuary area. Not so many people had arrived most pews were empty and those
that were reserved were quickly filling up.
I used the
time as people walked in to take their seats, to contemplate about so many
things.
For
instance, the design of the Basilica still amazes every time I walk in to pray,
tour or simply to sit and take in the quiet expanse within its confines.
I looked up at the highest beams holding the
roof.
I was able
to see the different depictions of art.
The
different depictions showed the saints, angels and events such as the angel
Gabriel appearing before Mary. The
moment stirs emotions of joy, fear, presence, agency and most of all humility.
I asked
myself what I would do in such an instance.
Something
snapped me out of a trance. I immediately realized that every time I am before
this particular image, I was witnessing the moment when Mary and the angel
Gabriel were in dialogue.
I am part
of those eligible to listen in. I am not an outsider and I am welcome to be
part of the story. We are part of the
larger contexts of the body of Christ!
This
thought and realization became the defining moment from there on. Today is yet
another strand of the witness continuum. I am part of the congregants
witnessing the ordination of two Bishops in Washington, D.C.
The church
filled up and preparations were made to welcome the Most Reverend Gary R. Studniewski
and the Most Reverend Robert P. Boxie III.
Both were
ordained to serve as auxiliary Bishops of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of
Washington. The Bishops serve under His
Eminence Robert Cardinal McElroy, the Archbishop of Washington who was the
Principal ordaining Bishop. Two Co-Consecrating Bishops were: His Eminence
Wilton Cardinal Gregory, Archbishop Emeritus of Washington and His Excellency Most
Reverend Mark E. Brennan, Bishop Emeritus of Wheeling-Charleston. His
Excellency Most Reverend Gabriele G. Caccia, Apostolic Nuncio to the United
States of America was the concelebrant and conveyed His Holiness Pope Leo XIV’s
message.
The
physical journeys we take are the nurturing opportunities for God to choose
shepherds.
Bishop Gary
R. Studniewski was born in Toledo, Ohio in 1957. He joined the ROTC program and
later received an Army commission in 1979. He completed a Bachelor of Education
in Biology, served in the 82nd Airborne Division Artillery from 1980
to 1981. He joined the 3rd Infantry Division Artillery, United
States Army Europe from 1983 to 1986. In 1987 to 1989, he served in the Army’s
Personnel Command in Alexandria, Virginia, while living in Upper Marlboro,
Maryland. In 1989, Bishop Studniewski
left active duty. He joined Catholic priesthood and went to study at the
Pontifical North American College in Rome from 1990 to 1995. He was ordained a
priest in Washington in 1995 and served as a Parochial Vicar at Saint John’s
Church in Hollywood, Maryland. He also
worked with the Youth Ministry and in 1997, received the Monsignor William
Awalt Award for Youth Ministry in the Archdiocese of Washington. In 1998,
Bishop Studniewski re-entered active Army service as a chaplain. In 2012,
Bishop Studniewski was assigned as the Command Chaplain for the United States
Army North (5th Army) AT Fort Sam Houston, Texas. He later served as the Command Chaplain,
Joint Forces Headquarters-National Capitol Region/Military District of
Washington from 2014 to 2016. He retired
from the Army at the rank of Colonel in July 2016. He was assigned as the
Temporary Administrator at Saint Xavier Church, Newtowne, Maryland before
assuming Pastoral responsibilities as Administrator of Saint Peter’s Catholic
Church on Capitol Hill in January 2017.
He was named Pastor of Saint Peter’s in 2018 and assumed the most recent
position as Pastor of the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament in July 2022.
Bishop
Robert P. Boxie III was born in 1980 in Lake Charles, Louisiana. He graduated
from Vanderbilt University with a degree in Chemical Engineering and a second
major in Music. He worked in France
where he taught English as a High School Language Assistant for a year. He returned to the United States and joined
Harvard Law School where he graduated with a Juris Doctor degree in 2007. He
served as an attorney and law clerk at the federal court in Greenbelt, Maryland
and later as an associate at a law firm in Washington, D.C. He made the
decision to join seminary fir the Archdiocese of Washington. He studied at the
Theological College at the Catholic University of America as well as at the
Pontifical North American College and Pontifical Gregorian University in
Rome. He earned a Bachelor if Sacred
Theology degree in 2015 and Licentiate if Sacred Theology degree in 2017. He was ordained a priest of the Archdiocese
of Washington on June 25, 2016 by Cardinal Donald Wuerl. He served as Parochial
Vicar at Saint Francis of Assisi Catholic Church in Derwood, Maryland in the
summer of 2016. Later, he served as the Parochial Vicar at Saint Joseph
Catholic Church in Largo, Maryland from 2017 to 2020. He was transferred to the
Sister Thea Bowman Catholic Student Center at Howard University in Washington,
D.C. He served as an Assistant Director of Priest Vocations since and a
Professor in the permanent diaconate program since 2018.
The
ministers of the liturgy were drawn from different places. His Eminence Robert
Cardinal McElroy, Archbishop of Washington was the Principal ordaining Bishop and
Homilist. His Eminence Wilton Cardinal Gregory, Archbishop Emeritus of
Washington and His Excellency Most Reverend Mark E. Brennan, Bishop Emeritus of
Wheeling-Charleston were Co-Consecrating Bishops. The Principal Concelebrant
was His Excellency Most Reverend Gabriele G. Caccia, Apostolic Nuncio to the
United States of America. Attending Cardinals, Bishops, Priests and invited
Priests were concelebrants.
The
triumphal entrance by the soon-to-be ordained Bishops up to the beginning of
Mass filled me with uplifting emotions.
The
radiance, the palpable joy in the faces of the people who were gathered, the
dazzling robes of the presiding priests as they sat in rows upon rows next to
the sanctuary and the choir somewhere in the hidden chambers on an upper level
all created a memorable and uplifting feeling.
The second
reading was taken from Ephesians 4: 1-7, 11-13. The part where it read “…for
building up the Body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of faith and
knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood to the extent of full stature of Christ,”
reminded me of my own Public Health work.
We are
parts of a larger body and each part has roles and responsibilities. The service was both enjoyable and a
teachable moment. I was awestruck by the
elaborate presentation of the elect, promise of the elect, laying of hands,
anointing of heads, handing on of the book of Gospels and Insignia and the
concluding rites.
I left the occasion knowing that I had come of age as a New American of African descent. I had attended open air ordination events in Africa. This was my first time attending an event in-door and witnessed the composure and containment. The music and shouts of joy were at the same time our shared commitment to lead lives that continue to build the body of Christ and God’s kingdom every minute, every hour and every day.
We are part of the larger contexts of the body of
Christ!






































































No comments:
Post a Comment