Monday 2 September 2013

Even as we toil for days, there is a Divine hand in everything: the question is not whether there is a GOD, it is whether GOD works in our midst




Longevity breeds variety. Believers have a tendency to  think divine intervention is equated with fast results.  They want things done for them fast. After all they believe in the steadfast GOD. Mover of things. Decider, arranger, protector and giver. How else would they fail in anything? GOD works in our midst. All His magnificent works were spread out over time. Look at creation, it unfolded one day at a time. All the magnificence we read of is revealed as taking place in a chronology. God's will, will be done in time. Many books allude to the Divine. I choose the Bible once again. This time I want to compare Jacob's story to my argument. I concentrated on Gen 31: 38-41.

Jacob, the son of Isaac lived by God's rules. Jacob accumulated riches in form of: bumper harvests, a long life, animals, assets and even, by twist of events, married Laban's daughters. These riches did not come overnight. In Jacob's own words this took a long time. To get the tents, animals and wives he had to put in 20 years.

It was a long and painful time for me. I am used to writing down notes. Given that I was off-line for over two weeks it made me feel isolated. Isolated in a way that I was getting and not giving. The good side was that I had time to listen more and think harder about what was going on around me.

The mid week of August was an opportunity for me to reflect deeper on prayer, needs, duty and catholic tradition. I woke up earlier, as I always do. Did my mandatory calisthenics and headed off to church. It was the day of Our Lady's assumption. On this day, the church celebrates the assuming of Mary's body to heaven. I dedicated my time and effort from that day on for being more useful and understanding of things Earthly and Divine.

A letter came in the post. In it I was asked to confirm all my details with the USCIS. I am trying to formalize my stay in USA. It took me two days to complete everything to the letter. I sent the form by overnight express. I do hope all was received and someone is working on my documentation.

I listened to the core and fabric of the messages shared through the Martin Luther King Jr.(MLK) 50 year celebration. The celebration marked 50 years after the 1963 March on Washington monument (MOWM). There are media and systems that promoted this to many: symbolism, the creation of conversation over the economic disparity of the lesser privileged American and the positive solemn discourse over electronic and print media. I attended local gatherings to mark this event. I realized the organizers of the marches pointed out the pain but did not cut out other categories that make up America's body. The gist of the message: “ it was not enough to say African-Americans are in a sorry state, but that all less privileged need to have their status looked into.” Now that rings true and there is a true social justice mission.

one day,I walked past a gutted house and had to look. My science background about heat, convection currents and heat conservation was aroused. I looked at the house for a longer time. I did not know that the owner was irritated by “this seemingly reconnaissance person,” “who could be laying strategies for breaking in later at night or when we are not home.”

“Can I help you?” a shocking bellow much like a drill sergeant calling the formation to attention. I pictured 'Beetle Bailey' comic strips. “Can I help you?” A note higher. Angry emotions in the tone. I looked at him again, I did not avert my eyes. Another reason to suspect me. I stopped walking and turned to get back to him. I even put in an ounce of dumbness as I replied him. “Hullo, am so and so....” I said as he came at me in a very threatening way. He reminded me of Alpha males and how they are subdued. I did subdue him by greeting him loudly and asking him how I could help him. I even told him I did not understand what he was saying only that I heard him shout! I later told him I was looking at the silver foil that coats the walls. I talked physical science with him. This seemed to assure him I was not a thief. He then told me of certain races in USA that are known to be made up of thieves and burglars. He said when he saw me he thought I was a thief. I told him subtly that it is difficult to know a person that well unless you get to interact with them more often. After some time talking and him sizing me up, he realized I was a new person in USA. He asked me why we want to come to this..........( expletives, expletives) country. I said I did not understand the words he used. I am not that good in English vocabulary. He smiled for the first time. My acting dumb must have saved me. He knew he was the master of the game now. I was the errant pupil who needed straightening. Bottom line: He was sorry. He even revealed he was a PTSD. He had served in Iraq! I gave my compliments and from then on we became acquaintances.

War or strife can make us  pose questions differently. It can make us miss out on the crucial issues and relevance of things. In Syria, a very beautiful country, someone lobed Sarin gas at civilians. The containment of this material is done in special measures. Its conveyance requires logistics that are very expensive and manipulated by trained people. It is a dangerous weapon. It is even listed at various airports worldwide. My question is: who has the wherewithal to travel with Sarin gas canisters past airport officials? Who can kill over 2,000 civilians including women and children with Sarin gas? Which entity sits by as its people are butchered and massacred? Where was security?  The question is NOT ONLY whether Sarin gas was used in Syria but who is responsible ( for letting off the gas)?

I looked forward to relaxing. a friend who knows the streets far better than I took me to the various shopping malls after we attended a community fare. I moved about various displays of goods and wares. I now know where to shop smarter. No longer will it be on-line! I only managed to know these places after staying longer in USA. Neighborhood convenience stores and groceries are good for swift shopping errands but these malls that are downtown or in the other towns are good for optical nutrition and shopping a variety of things. Longevity breeds variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment