Wednesday 24 February 2016

Tom Rogers Muyunga-Mukasa, APHA

               One day, I happened to be walking by a lane to stretch my legs. While I looked at the surroundings a dazzling light from a far kept glittering. This took away much of my attention and I missed my turn. But, alas! It was a blessing in disguise. For coiled in a deadly s-shape was the African cobra.  It must have been chasing a rat which I saw earlier crossing the road in a rather dazed way. I never gave it a second thought, as these things happen in this part of rural Uganda. Up until then, I had not heard the hissing and rhythmic slashing sounds against the grass. My thudding footsteps made much louder by my gumboots must have saved the rat, but got in the way of a hairy meal for the snake.
                  As if from nowhere a speeding motorbike passed me by before I could point out the big black and green snake. The vroom-vroom sound and the smell of fuel must have scared away the snake which crawled so fast back into a nearby anthill. The anthill, the size of two minivans, harbored a snake few had ever seen. This anthill was as old as our village. I continued walking until I came to a turn which led to the village chief's home. I told a child at this home to switch off a light that was left on. Electricity supply is irregular in this area and so it is common for people to forget to switch off security lights. That is what I saw, from a distance, as a glitter. This was the chief's home.
                  Life is like that most times. It is both a journey with objects that fascinate or scare. Life is a destination too. Journeys get us somewhere. I now live in USA and I intend to get the highest qualifications of the land in a course of my choice. As I talk now, I am an APHA. Who knows what tomorrow holds? Yes, la luta continua.  Tom Rogers Muyunga-Mukasa, APHA.
TOM ROGERS MUYUNGA-MUKASA, APHA

No comments:

Post a Comment